CLOSED: Technology Scouting (Agriculture & Development), Oxford
August 05, 2014
Agriculture: Alleviation of poverty amongst farmers in East Africa
H2O is offering an exciting opportunity for a talented scientist/engineer/technologist to join our team to help source market-ready research to inspire and drive the social enterprises created in East Africa under an ambitious six-year programme which started in July 2014. The focus will be on poverty alleviation amongst smallholder farmers by employing technologies that support and enhance all aspects of agriculture in a commercial framework.
Who are H2O Venture Partners?
H2O Venture Partners (www.h2ovp.com), founded in 2006, is a ground-breaking business in the field of impact investment and social entrepreneurship. We have offices in Oxford, UK, and Kigali, Rwanda, our activities span the UK, East Africa and India, and our team of experienced entrepreneurs comes from diverse backgrounds. We run a creative process of business development, developing initial ideas into fully-funded, autonomous trading enterprises. We apply our skills to create sustainable, profitable enterprises that achieve significant social impact in the fields of health and poverty alleviation.
What is the role?
This is a highly creative and entrepreneurial role, reporting to the Director of Technology Scouting. You will work closely with our social enterprises to source market-ready technologies that can deliver viable products and services to deliver social impact and commercial returns in East Africa. These technologies are likely to involve research institutions in UK and overseas, and global research networks, and will include all aspects of agriculture, including inputs, production, post-harvest storage and value-adding food processing. Typically, your desk based research will lead to phone and face-to-face meetings with senior researchers in the UK and overseas. For selected technologies you will then work with the researchers and the H2O commercial team to transfer the technology from the research institute to the social enterprise.
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking high-performing individuals who can develop commitment and passion for social enterprise and impact investment as an agent for international development and poverty alleviation, and with the following key attributes:
• Proven ability to rapidly research and assimilate novel technologies and critically appraise them in order to select market-ready prospects.
• Strong research experience in a relevant subject.
• The self-confidence to engage with technical fields significantly beyond your immediate expertise and interact on a peer-to-peer basis with senior researchers.
• A flair for business, with strong evidence of entrepreneurial thinking and preferably with knowledge of business creation and technology transfer.
• The ability to understand the drivers of our social enterprises in East Africa and elsewhere and think creatively about the potential for technology to deliver their social and commercial goals.
• Relish responsibility and capable of working autonomously to deliver high-level goals.
• EU national, or valid work permit for UK.
What we offer
• Permanent position, preferably full-time.
• Competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
• Opportunity to expand and develop a career within H2O.
• Based in Oxford, UK, but with significant UK travel and some international.
• Preferred start date: 4Q2014.
Closing date: we do not expect to consider applications received after 14th September 2014.
Please respond in the first instance with a CV and covering letter, by email only, citing the reference ‘Tech-H2O’, to: [email protected]